Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cate Blanchett Plays Queen Again in Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Cate Blanchett, who earned an Academy Award nod for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in the 1998 period piece Elizabeth, reprises her role as the strong-willed leader of England in the sequel Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Set a decade after the events depicted in Elizabeth, the sequel finds Queen Elizabeth I dealing with challenges by King Philip of Spain as well as the passionate supporters of imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots. After declaring herself married to her country, Queen Elizabeth I also finds herself unable to be with the man she loves, the handsome and engaging Sir Walter Raleigh (Clive Owen).Blanchett didn't immediately jump at the chance to play Queen Elizabeth I again. Instead, she had to be talked into slipping back into the character. “I think what convinced me was time, really," explained Blanchett. "I found that the notion of the love triangle, the very structure of the narrative, was quite different. Because I had always said that if they did another one, that Elizabeth shouldn't be the central character. And because the structure of the romance -- because it's an unabashedly romantic film -- I think was cut different, and so it didn't feel like treading the same ground."

No comments: